Monday, July 6, 2009

The Hughes Family Kitchen Remodel Project

Making an old house new again, one room at a time ...

Once upon a time, in the early sixties, this house was state-of-the-art! It was beyond hope when we moved in 5-1/2 years ago. We have replaced the HVAC, windows, doors, roof; insulated, painted, paved, pooled. Repaired the deck, cut down trees, demolished a tree house, installed fans, vents, cables, washer and dryer, refinished a tub, replaced a faucet, built a skate park, moved shrubs, planted groundcover.

And finally, I get a new kitchen.

Some people probably think we're crazy to do this in the middle of a depression. My husband was laid off after 28 years, and had to start a new self-employed career. I am a government employee on three days furlough.

But I know in my heart we're doing the right thing and it's coming together like a cake recipe.\

I love my design-build team, and I think you will too. We're going forward, investing in our future, doing our part to help the economy, and creating a beautiful, practical space for friends and family.

I'll try to share what we have learned as we go along. Sure, there will be days when my husband and I won't speak to each other, and others where I will fear I have bought all the wrong appliances. But I also know everything will work out perfectly in the end, and I can't wait to take a sledge hammer to the walls.

You're welcome to follow along ...

No comments:

Post a Comment